April 22, 2007

Woods Riding in Maine


Dirt Road Woods Riding in Maine
Originally uploaded by MontaukRider.


With warm weather returned I was able to ride this weekend. Maine drew much of my attention.

On one particular ride I found myself beyond paved roads and in the midst of a what appeared a managed forest. A vernal pool caught my attention, so it was off the bike and into the woods for exploration.

Sometimes dirt roads offer attractions beyond those we find on the highways and byways of our land. The woods are full of life and blessed with an abundance of stories.

A tree falls and dies. Its decaying wood suddenly hosts an army of plant and insect life that feed on its banquet of carbon and nitrogen. The circle is complete and ready to begin again.

Yes, riding into the woods is well worth the trip. Just remember to park the bike and walk a bit. We see more when we slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment