March 16, 2005

SURFING THROUGH THE AIR



I'm often asked by non-riders why motorcycling is so important to me. I have a thousand answers to this question, but no one answer covers the myriad of reasons.

There are a handful of experiences in life that allow us to experience joyous movement, a moment when gravity is seemingly defied, and when the normal laws of time and space are suspended. Those who surf, those who ski, those who snowboard know what I am speaking of. It's almost indescribable: it's like surfing through the air.

On a warm summer day, I will cruise along a twisting country road in the backwoods or hills of New Hampshire. I will find a groove in which every undulation of the road, from surface to twist, is synced perfectly with my mind and my machine. I'm studying the next turn before it is even in view. I can see it and feel it without seeing it.

This is the Zen of Motorcycling. This is joyous movement. This is why I ride.

2 comments:

  1. What a magical image...Thank you! I feel as if all the snow on the ground outside is about to vanish, so that daffodils can come up out of the ground and motorcycles can come down out of the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.. only a biker can understand..the feeling..

    ReplyDelete