October 18, 2006

RIDING SEASON WANES

The riding season is waning fast here in the North. Montauk Rider is blasting off early tomorrow on what is most probably his last big ride of the year. Storms are brewing from the West, and a seam between them appears open tomorrow until around 2 pm. Then we’ll be engulfed in yet another large rain system.

Readers of my posts know how I love mountains, streams, lakes and oceans. I’m heading again toward the Adirondacks. The pull is as strong as the moon’s influence on the tide.

While I hope to ride a lot, there’s an equal chance of finding that rain (perhaps mixed with snow) will bring me some great reading time. I’m packing a few books for the road. One book that I’ve just begun is quite remarkable. It’s Don Miguel Ruiz’s wonderful little tome called “The Four Agreements.”

Ruiz writes of Toltec wisdom, and of his own discovery of self-worth and appreciation. His words are powerful.

Of the evil of gossip he writes: “Gossip is black magic at its very worst because it is pure poison.”

Of the need to be impeccable with your word he counsels: “Just imagine what you can create with impeccability of the word. With the impeccability of the word you can transcend the dream of fear [which is the dogma of being and acting as the person you were told to be] and live a different life. You can live in heaven in the middle of thousands of people living in hell because you are immune to that hell [which is the world of fear and lack of self-worth that society tries to force upon us all].”

As we look around at the beauty of our wonderful planet, and at the wonders of its inhabitants, are we not actually living in the Garden of Eden? I think so.

Our supposed leaders tell us no. They say man was banished from the Garden because of sin. Perhaps it is they who are banished from the Garden, but not by God. They have banished themselves by their fear-based ideologies and their guilt-based poisons. They have failed to truly love others and to allow themselves to be loved equally.

That, my friends, is enough philosophy for the night. I have laundry to do, saddlebags to pack, riding gear to inspect, and rest to seek before tomorrow’s Wonder Ride. Since it might be my last for a bit, I intend to make it magnificently, marvelously, and most assuredly memorably unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment