October 21, 2006

WOOPS

My late season journey to the Adirondacks proved to be a bit too late, as I was stranded in a snowstorm for a day and night, and then enjoyed a long ride home through not one but two more snow storms as I crossed over the mountains of the Adirondacks and Vermont today.

My journey was mixed with great joy and great regret. My regret is that several friends had planned to join with me in the mountains for riding, but were unable to get there due to the rains and snows that buried the Northeast over the past few days. Some of them are sad, feeling like they let me down.

They did not let me down, however. They simply made the right choice, the same choice any educated rider would make. You must know when it is unsafe to ride, and you must stop then and there. I admire and respect their choice, and will tell them so personally when we next speak.

My joy came from riding in snow capped mountain passes, something I have not done for a long time. Cold, yes. But invigorating to the max. The entire ride was as if I was alone in a wonderland. Except I was never alone. I saw hawks galore. I came across dozens of deer, as well as a number of downed trees. My main focus, nonetheless, was to avoid the ice on the roads, so I paid particular attention to dry versus wet paths ahead.

I knew before I even left that this was likely my last long ride of the season. But this morning, when a group of Adirondack snowmobilers regaled me with jabs like "Aren't you pushing your season a bit far," I laughed with them. They were right. I had indeed pushed it a bit far.

But frankly, I hadn't expected snow this weekend. I thought it would hold off until Monday. Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment