November 22, 2006

ALTRUISTIC MIXOLOGY

Living in the Now is at times impossible. Our lives are full of commitments, distractions, promises, appointments, things happening everywhere around us. Telephones and faxes, e-mails and television pile on the commonplace commotion.

True, motorcycling brings a focus on the now as can very few activities. Yet admittedly, long quiet walks through the woods or along the shore do so as well. Special times with your love do too, perhaps more poignantly than anything else. In all these focused times there is a suddenness that blocks all else from cognition. Total focus......Total nowness.

The approach of the Holidays adds but more buzz and blur to everything, however. I think the best approach to all this is to let go of the desire to be mono-focused. Let everything be what it must until things settle down a bit.

Example: It's now 8 pm. My kids will soon be home for the Thanksgiving Holiday. They were supposed to be here for dinner, but they just called from college to say that they are waiting until 9 to depart so they can give a friend a ride home.

I'm pleased that they are being generous to a friend. Selfishly I'm a bit disappointed that I've been holding off on eating this long. And there isn't a thing to be done about it except to move on to the next thing that needs getting done.

I think I'll continue my experiments with making the perfect Pomtini. I know it's a privation to work so hard on this project. But I'm just the fellow to persevere in The Endeavour. My altruistic hope is that, one day, I'll discover a mixology that will financially benefit the Pomegranate Growers of the world.

You see, the giving spirit of the Holidays is already upon me. May it be upon you as well on this cold November eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment