November 15, 2006

EVEN OPTIMISTA GET THE BLUES

It was a strange day today. I wanted to be anywhere but where I was, at work. I was thinking how much I desired to be on the road again, to be riding amidst warm fragrant forests, cool mountain streams, and alongside shimmering bucolic lakes.

My reverie was repeatedly interrupted by meetings, phone calls, and co-worker discussions. "I'm leaving this afternoon for Key West," said one. "I'm off to South Beach Monday," said another.

A Chromeheads friend from out West called. "It's sunny and gorgeous here, so I'm heading out for a ride with a pal," she declared. I was glad for those lucky ones who could escape and ride in sunshine. Desire welled up within me till I felt I couldn't breath. I wanted to join them. I needed the "therapy of the ride."

I peered out my window into gray rainy skies, leafless trees, and a flow of cars driving down the damp streets below. My favorite tree was bare. The three finches that had cavorted at my window all summer were gone.

Accuweather says snow is coming. My e-mails tout drugs for male enhancement, stock picking success, bigger biceps, breast enlargement. The spammers are obviously confused.

Then my phone rang. A client that I've been helping with a deal in Italy called to say that he was going to have to leave for Verona in the next few weeks. "You might have to go with me," he said. My day seemed to brighten just a bit. A visit to the land of Romeo and Juliet would be just the thing, I thought.

An hour later my phone rang again. It was a client in Pennsylvania. "If we can arrange it, could you fly down for us to Florida in a new case?" My day seemed to brighten even more.

"Is it in the Keys," I wishfully whispered? "I don't know exactly where yet, but we'll call you in the next few days with more information," she replied. I hope it's in a place near the ocean.

And that's how it goes for us Optimistic Seekers. Just when you start to feel blue, opportunities appear. You just have to be ready to say "yes." You never know where such a simple word will take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment