November 24, 2006

HOLIDAY COOKING MISADVENTURES



Holiday Cooking is such fun. Stressful, yes, but so much fun when you have to plan for so many different desires.

My family and I spent much of yesterday at my cousin Dan's house, where he and his wife, Sue, cooked a marvelous feast for 12.

Everyone contributed of course. We brought Sweet Potato, Mashed Potato, steamed vegetables, artichoke dip (a reknowned favorite) and non-alcoholic Champagne for those who do not enjoy alcohol.

We also brought our favorite adopted/retired Priest, Father Vickery. He had such fun reminiscing with Sue's mother, Claire, a lovely Lady of Eighty-Five. She is such fun to talk with. I most admire her love of life. She got quite excited when she heard that I had taught her granddaughter how to knee dance on the kitchen floor. (OK, I'm busted. I love to dance.)

Like all Holiday Cooking adventures, Dan and Sue's included surprise and suspense. None of us could figure out when the Turkey would be done, as Dan had purchased a 20 pounder labeled "Fresh," which in fact they discovered was "Frozen" when they took it out of the fridge that morning.

Now we all have stories of kitchen-misadventure. Most are quite humorous. No one tells such stories better than my sister, Betsy, on her Blog here: http://betsydevine.weblogger.com/2006/11/23#a2900 Her linked stories from 2003 and 2004 are really precious.

In our case yesterday the dinner that was expected to be served at 1 ended up being served at 3:30. It was yummy.

All of my years, except one, I have been blessed to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends. Not all of us are so lucky.

I am thinking about friends and strangers, from the States, Canada, England, and elsewhere, that have spent this Holiday in far away lands where wars are waged. They surely would rather be home; yet they serve their countries with pride and honor. I am humbled by their commitment to a better and safer world for the rest of us. They do not make the policy that places them there. They simply step forward and serve.

I am most Thankful for them. Thank you brave men and women who risk so much for us all. Come home safe please.

No comments:

Post a Comment