November 11, 2006

NOWNESS

I rode along the Atlantic coast today. The sea was angry -- its waves crashed hard on the rocks and seawalls sending water high into the air. In places the waves overcame the walls and crashed onto the road. One such boomer just missed me, though I think it splashed my riding companions who were behind me at the time.

A steady and strong wind blew from the northwest. The breeze seemed to hold the waves upright just long enough to create a prolonged break pattern, just perfect for surfing. And the surfers were there.

We rode up the coast, following the water always, from Hampton, New Hampshire to Ogunquit, Maine. My companions were smiling ear to ear, so it was a good ride.

A friend suggested this morning that I use today's ride to find that "Zen" place I so often speak of. I tried my best but didn't quite get there. I did find joy in the nowness of the day, however. And that's a good start.

2 comments:

  1. I was just surfing Blogs and found yours... Cool, was wondering if you rode a Montauk?
    I ride a Phoenix....
    Later fellow Chromehead (If you ride a Bmw R1200C)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:44 PM

    I also felt that crashing today, although not from the surf. Sometimes the energy comes from other sources. I recognized it and faced it. I understood it and felt that I could not duck below or above it.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete