November 26, 2006

AN EASY RIDE

I rode so easy today past little ponds topped in fog and mist. Roads twisted around each farm and field. I was quite lost and loving it.

“Go straight and true,” I thought, recalling the words of Hem’s song, “We Will Meet Along the Way.”

My heart was filled with confusion. The weather was the finest I’ve ever known in late November. The news from friends, however, was total silence. I knew not where they were or if they were alright. I was worried for them.

The roads were so beautiful. I rode past horses, sheep, and hilltops alive with flying birds. I felt the turns coming, Zen riding was within my grasp -- yet I couldn’t grasp it. My mind was far away.

Once on the coast I found companions who wanted to learn the back roads I know so well. I lead them on a simple, pleasurable ride through little towns and villages. They thanked me for the tour before we parted near daylight’s end.

Now the bike is put to bed and I ponder what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment