September 17, 2006

Adirondack Cruising


Saranac Lake 030
Originally uploaded by Pauls Travel Photos.
Just back from a long ride in the Adirondacks, and I am so happy I went.

Some thought me a bit crazy as I headed off in the rain last Thursday.
Not so.

As expected from a perusal of the weather maps, the rain lifted early in the Park, leaving me and so many other bikers with perfect late summer riding. The Adirondack Foliage is already blushing out all shades of red and yellow.

Late summer flowers are beside just about every road, if one merely takes a moment to observe. A rather large number of slightly confused and still magnificent Monarchs flutter about, not yet sure of their migration instinct.

With peak summer tourism ended the plentiful lakes glisten with a serenity seen only this time of year. Gatherings of birds, not boats, are afloat.

Winter will no doubt come soon to these mountains and lakes. Snow will pile deep, water will freeze. Skiers will fill the cabins now empty of summer tourists. All will be well.

For me it was a stunning ride and a magical weekend. I shall return to the Adirondacks as soon as I can. Who knows, perhaps there's one more such cruise before frost and snow end my most favorite of all seasons -- Riding Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment