September 22, 2006

SIMPLE PLEASURES

Colorado is expecting 2 feet of snow this weekend. We are expecting rain and wind but not snow. I am awash in mixed emotion.

On the one hand I want it to stay Summer forever. I can ride and ride and ride.

On the other hand I love the change of seasons. I look forward to the snow, that magical blanket on which we ski and play.

I think I am feeling a call back to the mountains of my youth, back to Franconia Notch and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I recall spending most every weekend there in my youthful Winters. The air was so cold it hurt to breath. It was great. I skied and snowshoed till exhausted. I need to do that again.

Somewhere along the road I forgot how lovely that simple life was. I forgot the muscular pleasure of splitting wood, the beauty of frosted windows, the magic of snowshoeing across open fields beneath a bright moon, exhaling steam like an Iron Horse locomotive. I need to do that again.

There are many simple pleasures that we forget in our busy lives. The joy of cooking on a Saturday morning, the warmth of a fully stoked fireplace, the smile one brings by playing guitar for another. Simple. Zen. Comfort.

I need to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment