September 26, 2006

RIKKI-TIKKI-TAVI ON THE ROAD

Some evenings I retire to my library to find a book of comfort. Tonight I happened to spy my volume of Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book." Perfect, I thought.

My first opening of the book happened upon Baloo's recitation of "The Laws of the Jungle." So simple, so clear:

"Now this is the law of the jungle -- as old and as true as the sky; And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

Wash daily from nose-tip to tail-tip, but never too deep; and remember, the night is for hunting, and forget not the day is for sleep.

Keep peace with the Lords of the Jungle -- the Tiger, the Panther, the Bear.

When Pack meets with Pack in the Jungle, and neither will go from the trail, Lie down till the leaders have spoken -- it may be fair words shall prevail."

Fanning pages I had read so many years earlier, I stumbled upon what had once been my favorite story as a child, "Rikki-tikki-tavi," the fabled Mongoose who was loved by people and feared by snakes.

But here on the page were words I had never noticed before:

"It is the hardest thing in the world to frighten a mongoose, because he is eaten up from nose to tail with curiosity. The motto of all the mongoose family is, "Run and find out."

Oh my, I hesitated, Rikki-t-t was just like me and so many other adventurers I know. I smiled. I've never particularly likened myself to a mongoose before. But I do like the motto.

When next I depart my home on an adventure I'll remember to call out "Run and Find Out!" I'm so ready for that tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment