September 19, 2006

JAZZ IN A SOFT RAIN



A soft rain falls tonight in New England. Softer still is the velvety voice of Sophie Milman playing on the stereo. Her inaugural album, aptly named "Sophie Milman," is a strong statement from this Russian-born Canadian phenom.

I'm known to adore good jazz. Many of my favorite rides are accompanied by the best tunes of Ray Charles, Diana Krall, Mose Allison, Sarah Vaughn, Frank Sinatra, and Stan Getz. I'm so pleased that a dear friend has enlightened me to Sophie, however. She will be added to my Mp3 playlist for the next big ride for sure.

It's true that a perfect ride stands on its own and requires no assistance from crooners and such. But not all rides are of that ilk. Many times we are forced by time pressures or other considerations to ride long stretches of passionless highway tar. On such rides the joy of great music is a welcome companion.

So I give my thanks, first to the artists who create these fine works, and second to the good friends who tell me about new artists like Sophie Milman. Like a rising tide my spirits are lifted by this kindness.

1 comment:

  1. Sophie Milman, eh? I like the other names on your list of greats, so Sophie sounds like somebody who's worth a listen!

    ReplyDelete