September 09, 2006

DREAMS OF MEXICAN BOUGAINVILLEA


It's no secret that I love Mexico. I especially love Mexico's West Coast.

There the jungles and mountains rush to the sea, and lovely little roads twist between hill and valley. From rock and sand to verdant slopes covered in Bougainvillea, a prettier or more exotic place to ride is hard to imagine.

Mexico inspires many a musician as well. A listen to Ry Cooder's "Maria Elena" or "Cancion Mixteca" demonstrates the romance of Mexico's themes of guitar mystique.

When the snows of New England come this winter I will dream of motorcycling to Mexico. In physical reality I'll be here, laughing, skiing and otherwise doing what we do each year in the frozen North, but with a longing.

My nights will be filled with dreams of riding the Mexican coast from village to village till I reach the Bay of Banderas. Sunrise on the Bay is quite special, as one can see from the photo I've posted above. This was taken at dawn, at that critical time just before the sun rose over the eastern horizon.

I'll see my fellow dreamers on the way, or if not, perhaps when I reach El Faro.

No comments:

Post a Comment